Thursday, May 6, 2010

A bit about service

I should really be writing an essay for Spanish right now (a review of the movie "El Chacotero Sentimental") but decided to do this instead. Why does it need to get done tonight? Because I'm leaving for Argentina in a couple of hours! But more about that when I get back.

Today I hung around after my classes and met up with Estela Rojo, one of our two ND coordinators here. She's started helping out at a Casa de Acogida - literally, Welcome House.

The way Chilean foster care works is that if a judge rules that a child is in a bad environment, they get taken out of their home and put into a communal house, or Casa de Acogida. These can be government run, or privately run. The Congregation of the Holy Cross, the religious order associated with Notre Dame, runs five of these casas in Chile. Three of them are in Santiago.

Anyway, back to my story. Estela started teaching a class to a group of young kids and found out that one of the teenage girls wanted help with her English. She basically doesn't know any and it's a requirement for university. So today I went with Estela to visit, then hung out with the girl (whose name I can't remember, gah!). She's fun and I helped her study for an upcoming test on Countries, Nationalities and Languages.

Gotta go get ready, chao!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, that sounds awesome. I'm really glad you're helping that girl out and that you're enjoying doing so. :)
    Wow, Argentina! Have fun! Write a post allll about it when you get back.

    ReplyDelete